Pages

Thursday 19 December 2019

SLJ Wk 1 Day 5 Act 1: National Treasure


Photo Attribution

Activity 1: National Treasure [4 points]

Sophie Pascoe is a New Zealand para-swimmer. This means she is a competitive swimmer with a physical disability. Very sadly, Sophie was run over by a lawn mower when she was only 2 years old. She had to have the bottom of her left leg amputated. However, despite this terrible accident, she was determined to become a competitive swimmer.

Sophie has won numerous New Zealand and world para-swimming titles, including nine Olympic gold medals. She has also won the Halberg Award for Disabled Sportsperson of the Year three times. Sophie is a great example of a New Zealander who did not let her disability stop her from achieving her dreams. She is truly a ‘National Treasure’. A national treasure is someone or something that is very important to a country. 


For this activity, we would like to learn more about the things that are important to you.

On your blog, please share three things that you treasure and say why they are treasures to you.

Personally, I treasure an old piano because it has family history for me. My dad bought the piano when he was a teenager and played it a lot as a young man. When I was little I learnt to play on the same piano and now my daughter Laila loves to play it too! It has brought a lot of joy and music to our family.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Ananmaria, I really like the ocean background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anamaria
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tēnā koe i tēnei ahiahi Anamaria,

    Thank you so much for sharing what you treasure. Your friends, family, and your teacher. All three of those sounds so special, and I'm glad they all have such a positive impact in your life. I treasure my friends, family, and New Zealand. I feel like all three of these things that I treasure make a large impact on who I am in a positive way. I am grateful for all my puipuiaki.

    It is an absolute pleasure being able to read your blogs! Well done on starting your summer learning journey! I am really looking forward to seeing all the posts you are going to create. Just letting you know I will be signing off today and will be coming back online on the 6th of January. Over this time I will be spending time with family and taking some time to rest and relax going into the new year. I hope both you and your loved ones have a safe and fun summer break together. Can’t wait to check out all your blog posts in January!

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica, hope you have fun relaxing with your fam & hope you have a happy Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Talofa lava Anamaria!

    People can be one of the best treasure you can find! Was the activity a bit of a thinker or was this a breeze?

    Also great decorations!

    Kind regards,
    Riiana

    ReplyDelete